Hazlewood Act

The Hazlewood Act is a state benefit that provides qualified veterans, spouses, and dependent children with an education benefit of up to 150 hours of tuition exemption, including most fees, at public institutions of higher education in Texas. This does NOT include living expenses, books, or supplies.

Eligibility requirements for veterans, spouses, and dependent children can be viewed at the Texas Veterans Commission website.

Texas Veterans Commission - Hazlewood Act

Get Started Now...

Eligibility Requirements

  • Veteran must have entered military service from Texas, or Home of Record at the time of entry is Texas, or was a Texas resident at the time of entry into military service
  • Served more than 181 days of federal military services – Excluding Basic Training
  • Received an Honorable Discharge or General Discharge under Honorable Conditions
  • Exhausted GI Bill® benefits if eligible for Post 9/11 GI Bill® benefits at the 100% rate
  • Reside in Texas during term of enrollment
  • Provide DD 214 or equivalent supporting documentation
  • Meet the grade point average satisfactory academic progress requirements, minimum 2.0 or "C" average, and other requirements of Texas Education Code 54.2001 (Cumulative GPA is used)

How to Apply

  • Apply and be accepted to a Texas public college or university at www.applytexas.org.
  • Provide proof (DD214) from the Department of Defense regarding military service and the nature of discharge (Member 4).
  • Provide proof of eligibility or ineligibility for GI Bill® benefits (Chapter 31 - Voc/Rehab or 33 - Post-9/11) by requesting a certificate of eligibility for federal education benefits from eBenefits. This is required if a veteran has active duty service after 9/11/2001. You will need to create a username and password to request your certificate of eligibility.
  • Fill out the Hazlewood Exemption application form. The form must be submitted once each academic year.

  • Turn in the Hazlewood Exemption application form, a copy of your letter of eligibility/ineligibility, a printout of the hours used, and copy of your DD214.

Required Documents

The first time a veteran or student applies to use the Hazlewood exemption, all required documents must be submitted along with the application and hours used to Midland College.

All required documentation may be submitted to the Military Resource Center in room 225 of the Scharbauer Student Center, or email mcvet@midland.edu.

Texas Hazlewood Act Exemption Documentation Checklist (pdf)

Continuation of Enrollment Application

May be submitted for subsequent semesters during the academic year after the Hazlewood Application and required documentation has been submitted to Midland College.

Continuation of Enrollment Application (pdf)

Hazlewood Database for Veterans and Students

Allows veterans, legacy children, and spouses and children of 100% disabled/service-connected death veterans to view Hazlewood Act hours they have used. As part of the Hazlewood Act application process, users are required to register in the database and print out the number of hours previously used and turn that in to Midland College. This allows users to demonstrate that they have not already used up all of their entitlement. These hours must be submitted each term with the appropriate application.

Database for Veterans and Students

Application for Revocation of Previously Assigned Hours

An eligible veteran or designee who has assigned unused Hazlewood Exemption hours to a child through the Legacy Act may revoke the assignment of any unused hours [Texas Education Code §54.341(k‐1)]. This form must be notarized and submitted to the institution where the benefit is currently being used.

Revocation of Previously Assigned Texas Hazlewood Act Exemption Hours (pdf)

Documents may be submitted in one of the following ways:

  • In-person: deliver to the Military Resource Center, Scharbauer Student Center, Room 132 (Check in at front desk)
  • Email: mcvet@midland.edu

  • Mail:
    Midland College
    Attention: Military Resource Center
    3600 N. Garfield
    Midland, TX 79705

Apply to MC Now

Thank you for choosing Midland College! If you are here to collect a few credits, take courses to transfer, or here to start a new career, we welcome you.

How to Apply