Why choose Phlebotomy @ MC??
Midland College works in partnership with several hospitals and clinics in our surrounding
area to provide a quality, hands-on training experience.
CLASS TIMES - ALLOW STUDENTS TO WORK
- Class room training: Wednesday evening, 6 pm – 10 pm
- Clinical training: 80 hours, 2-3 days/evenings per week
Yolanda Romero-Ortiz has taught Phlebotomy at MC for over a decade. She is an experienced phlebotomist who effectively communicates the skills, abilities, and knowledge that her students need to be successful in this course and to be prepared to work in a healthcare environment.
Join Our Program
- PLAB1023: Phlebotomy Classroom
Meets Wednesday, 6 – 10 pm
- PLAB1060: Phlebotomy Clinical
80 clinical hours will be scheduled with local healthcare facilities to provide the student with experience in phlebotomy skills. The clinicals will be 2–3 days/week and will be the hours of 7 am – 3 pm, 3 pm – 11 pm, or 11 pm – 7 am.
The clinical course is an unpaid learning experience.
- Total 136 hours/13.6 CEUs
ATC Room 212
Midland Memorial Hospital, Midland Memorial (West), ReGen Spa, Martin County Hospital, Scenic Mountain Medical Center (Big Spring), Rankin County Hospital, Ward Memorial Hospital (Monahans).
- Must be 18 years or older
- Copy of photo ID or driver’s license
- Copy of social security card
- Copy of current CPR certification – Must be American Heart Association, BLS, within past 2 years.
- Copy of high school diploma/GED
- Copy of health insurance card
- Copy of Immunizations:
- COVID 19
- Flu (October - March)
- Tetanus (Td or Tdap) - within last 10 years
- MMR - must have 2 shots if born after 1957
- Varicella (chicken pox) - 2 doses required
- Hepatitis B series - must have all 3 shots
- Tuberculosis (TB) test (negative result) - within last 12 months
- All immunizations must be complete prior to registration
- Pass criminal background check - processed by MC
- Drug screening will be conducted on the first night of class
UniformScrubs: hunter green (top) and khaki (bottom), safety glasses or eyeglasses
Available at the MC Bookstore, located at the MC main campus: 3600 N. Garfield, Midland, TX
Phlebotomy PatchAvailable at the Midland College Bookstore
TextbookPhlebotomy Essentials 7th ed. Ruth McCall & Cathee M. Tankersly
Available at the Midland College Bookstore
Application & Enrollment
The full payment of $749 and completed application packet must be turned in to register for the course. Our policy is first-come, first-served and the classes fill quickly.
Call for advisor/registration appointment (432) 681-6338!
Health Sciences Continuing Education Opportunity
Scholarships are available for qualified applicants. Apply in the department office with proof of household income and a one-page essay expressing goals and financial needs.
Casa de Amigos Scholarship Opportunity
Call (432) 682-9701 or visit www.casadeamigosmidland.org
Workforce Solutions Scholarship Opportunity
Call (432) 686-4886 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
As a Phlebotomy Technician student, expect
- Classes on Wednesday, 6:00 pm – 10:00 pm
- Clinical hours, TBA
- Work closely with a small group of students
- 5 - 10 hours/week outside of class study time to be successful
- 56 hours of classroom instruction
- 80 hours of clinical instruction
Upon Successful Completion of the Program
Be prepared to take a certification exam:
- The American Society for Clinical Pathology exam, PBT (ASCP), $135, or
- The National Health Career Association exam, CPT (NHA), $117