Why choose Phlebotomy @ MC??
Midland College works in partnership with several hospitals and clinics in our surrounding
area to provide a quality, hands-on training experience.
CLASS TIMES - ALLOW STUDENTS TO WORK
- Class room training: Wednesday evening, 6 pm – 10 pm
- Clinical training: 120 hours, 2-3 days/evenings per week
Yolanda Romero-Ortiz has taught Phlebotomy at MC for over a decade. She is an experienced phlebotomist who effectively communicates the skills, abilities, and knowledge that her students need to be successful in this course and to be prepared to work in a healthcare environment.
Join Our Program
- PLAB1023: Phlebotomy Classroom
Meets Wednesday, 6:00 pm – 10:00 pm
- PLAB1060: Phlebotomy Clinical
120 clinical hours will be scheduled with local healthcare facilities to provide the student with experience in phlebotomy skills. The clinicals will be 2–3 days/week and will be the hours of 7am – 3pm, 3pm – 11pm, or 11pm – 7am.
The clinical course is an unpaid learning experience.
- Total 176 hours/17.6 CEUs
ATC Room 212
Midland Memorial Hospital, Midland Memorial (West), ReGen Spa, VA Hospital (Big Spring),
Martin County Hospital, Scenic Mountain Medical Center (Big Spring), Rankin County
Hospital, Ward Memorial Hospital (Monahans).
- Must be 18 years or older
- Copy of photo ID or driver’s license
- Copy of social security card
- Copy of current CPR certification – Must be American Heart Association, BLS, within past 2 years.
- Copy of high school diploma/GED
- Copy of health insurance card
- Copy of Immunizations
Tetanus (Td or Tdap) - within last 10 years
MMR - must have 2 shots if born after 1957
Varicella (chicken pox) - 2 doses required
Hepatitis B series - must have all 3 shots
Tuberculosis (TB) test (negative result) - within last 12 months
- All immunizations must be complete prior to registration.
- Pass criminal background check - processed by MC
- Drug screen required (student’s responsibility) – to be completed 2 weeks before clinicals begin
Set of scrubs (red), safety glasses or eyeglasses.
We recommend purchasing at Scrubs & Duds, located at 319 Dodson Street, Midland. MC student discount available.
Phlebotomy Essentials 6th ed. Ruth McCall & Cathee M. Tankersly
Available at the Midland College Bookstore.
Scholarships are available for qualified applicants. Apply in the department office with proof of household income and a one-page essay expressing goals and financial needs.
Scholarships also available through Casa de Amigos. For details, call (432) 682-9701 or visit www.casadeamigosmidland.org.
Enrollment Process & Application Packet
Full payment ($570) and completed registration packet must be turned in to register for the course. Our policy is first-come, first-served and the classes fill quickly.
Please call for advisor/registration appointment (432) 681-6338.
As a Phlebotomy Technician student, expect
- Classes on Wednesday, 6:00 pm – 10:00 pm
- Clinical hours, TBA
- Work closely with a small group of students
- 5 - 10 hours/week outside of class study time to be successful
- 56 hours of classroom instruction
- 120 hours of clinical instruction
Upon Successful Completion of the Program
Be prepared to take a certification exam:
- The American Society for Clinical Pathology exam, PBT (ASCP), $135, or
- The National Health Career Association exam, CPT (NHA), $117