Health Information ManagementHIM
Joining Our Program
The following must be completed before applying:
- Apply to Midland College at www.applytexas.org as a Pre-Health Professions major (for Associate degrees and Coding/Billing Certificates) and complete the following
courses with a "C" or better:
- HITT 1205: Medical Terminology
- BCIS 1305 or BCIS 1405: Business Computer Applications Course (3 or more hours)
- BIOL 2404: Human Anatomy and Physiology OR BIOL 2401 & BIOL 2402
- HIM Associate degree - math, reading, and writing
- Medical Coding Specialist - does not require TSIA completion
- Health Data Coordinator - does not require TSIA completion
Complete application packet
Applications are accepted year-round and students are accepted upon completion of prerequisites and maintaining a GPA of 2.0.
Download the application packet, complete the application, sign in ink, and return to Alma Martinez at firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to:
Attn: HIM Dept
3600 N. Garfield
Midland, TX 79705
Students will be required to have a TB screening, vaccinations as required by participating facility, liability insurance and a negative drug screen prior to any clinical course.
All students should be prepared to do clinical experiences at a location apart from where they reside. Any expenses incurred in doing a clinical away from home, including transportation, parking, and living expenses are the responsibility of the student and are not included in tuition costs.
Individuals who have been convicted of a felony may be denied clinical placement by facilities, thereby making completion of the program impossible. The program will not guarantee clinical placement to students with a criminal background.
If you have a current CCS or CCS-P, CCA, or CPC credential and maintain your CEUs while attending college, you may receive credit for the following classes:
- HITT 1205 Medical Terminology
- HITT 1341 Coding and Classification Systems
- HITT 1342 Ambulatory Coding
- HITT 2335 Coding and Reimbursement Methodologies
- HITT 2340 Advanced Medical Billing and Reimbursement
- HITT 1161 Clinical - Health Information Management: Coding
- HITT 2160 Clinical - Health Information Management
Proof of the active credential needs to be on file with the HIM program throughout the completion of the program.
Program estimated cost
|Health Data Coordinator||$2,325|
|Medical Coding Specialist||$4,237|
|HIM Associate Degree||$7,493|
Tuition estimates are based on full-time hours for each program with the assumption that no previous coursework has been completed. Estimates based on academic year 2018-2019.
New book costs are estimated to be $2,500 for AAS degree, $2,000 for Medical Coding
Specialist Certificate, and $1,000 for Health Data Coordinator certificate.
Program courses require proctored exams. Students are responsible for any costs associated with proctor examinations.
To apply for any MC Scholarship through AcademicWorks:
1. APPLY at https://midland.academicworks.com
2. Confirm the link sent to your email and complete application
3. Check your MC student email for notifications of award
4. Accept award & write your electronic thank you letter to the donor
*Already receiving a scholarship? Don't forget to update your application each semester! You will receive an email when it is time to do so.
WHAT MAKES A GREAT HIM STUDENT?
Program Contact Information
Alma Martinez, RHIT
Apply to MC Now
Thank you for choosing Midland College! If you are here to collect a few credits, take courses to transfer, or here to start a new career, we welcome you.