Bachelor of Applied ScienceHealth Services Management
Completely Online Program!
Ready to move into a management role in Healthcare?
Are you ready to advance your career in the healthcare field? Are you seeking leadership positions in a hospital, clinic or managed care organization? Do you want to earn your bachelor’s degree in an environment that fits your busy schedule? Sounds like the Midland College Bachelor of Applied Science for Healthcare Services (BAS) was designed for you.
Without question, the health sciences field is the single largest industry in the country, accounting for more than 14 million jobs. The Midland College (MC) online bachelor’s program is tailored to your needs, allowing you to earn an undergraduate degree in just two years.
Designed to meet growing needs for managers and mid-level managers, this program is intended for students with an Associate degree in allied health/health sciences, information technology, computer science, and business. Students will complete a required core of Health Service Management courses and may specialize in either Healthcare Administration or Health Informatics.
At MC, we are developing the health workforce of the future. As a graduate of this program, you will be well prepared for success as a manager in your original field of expertise, such as Medical Radiology, Nuclear Medicine Technology, and Histology Technology. Other career opportunities, depending upon the focus of the original AAS study, include positions as health educators, elder services program coordinators, long-term care health and wellness coordinators, and community nutrition aides. You will also be uniquely qualified for graduate study in applied programs such as gerontology, family sciences, and health education.
Students interested in this program should have strong organizational skills, a desire to lead and manage others and the ability to function in an ever-changing business environment. The HSM program is offered completely online. The tuition rates at Midland College are affordable and we have wonderful teachers who care and will dedicate one on one time with students. Students should expect a heavy workload and sit for long periods of time in front of a computer. Students will need a computer and internet connection for this program. The HSM program is scheduled to accommodate your lifestyle, whether you decide to attend full-time or part-time.
Joining Our Program
Pursuing a degree in this field of study will provide marketable skills in these areas:
- Judgment and Decision Making – Evaluating different options and selecting the most appropriate plans of action
- Critical Thinking – Using intellectually disciplined thought processes to determine the appropriate course of action based upon situations presented
- Social Perceptiveness – Awareness of social reaction of individuals in response to events
- Communicating – Listening, speaking, reading and writing associated with the healthcare profession
- Complex Problem Solving – Identifying and analyzing complexity and dependency of problems and proposing potential solutions to promote positive outcomes
- Systems Evaluation – Measuring the performance of a system/process and performing enhancements to increase the potential of desirable outcomes
- Management of Resources – Selecting and managing appropriate resources to accomplish organizational goals
- Coordination – Interaction with multiple people/groups to complete tasks
- Persuasion – Communicating to individuals and groups in an effort to alter attitude and/or behavior
- Process Analysis and Improvement – Documenting and analyzing process steps or segments to implement adjustments and changes in order to improve resource utilization and overall throughout
There are a number of in-demand career options in the health information management field, including:
- Education Administrators, Elementary and Secondary School
- Dietitians and Nutritionists
- Social and Community Service Managers
- Education Administrators, Postsecondary
- Chief Executives
- Human Resources Managers
- Instructional Coordinators
- Training and Development Managers
- Purchasing Managers
- Management Analysts
- Data Analyst
- HIM Director
- Information Security Manager
- Privacy Officer
- Revenue Cycle Manager
- Clinical and HIM Managers
- Healthcare Process Analyst
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), many of the fastest-growing occupations today are in health sciences. Employment of health information technicians is projected to grow 20% from 2016 to 2026, much faster than the average for all occupations. As the large baby-boom population ages and people remain active later in life, there should be increased demand for healthcare services.
Health Care Administration
The Health Care Administration track has been developed to align with the healthcare
administration principles. The core HSM program and specialty track courses develop
the expertise and skill-sets needed for the graduate to become part of the management
team that supervises hospitals, nursing homes, hospice centers, insurance and provider
networks, and government policy organizations. Graduates will be able to analyze healthcare
business problems and develop effective solutions while drawing upon an interdisciplinary
Health Informatics links together business practices, health care, biology, medicine and information technology. As with the health information management track, the informatics track addresses an emerging reality of the health care environment. Increasingly, health service managers must be proficient in the oversight of specialized information systems and able to apply general management skills to this highly technical realm. The informatics track develops competence in this expanded management role. The focus is on the liaison role in improving quality through secure technology usage coupled with workflow efficiency. Managers with substantial informatics responsibility oversee the interface between the IT department and clinicians. Informatics requires competence with information technology systems, understanding of regulatory and biomedical standards, and skills in data mining. Knowledge of health information technology systems and its intricacies are valuable to health care facilities and providers and are increasingly required in the management arena.
- Download the application packet, complete the application, sign in ink, and return
to MC HIM HSM Program email@example.com, or mail to:
Attn: HIM Department
3600 N. Garfield
Midland, TX 79705
- Only complete applications will be accepted.
- Official transcripts must be on file with the Registrar's Office
- A current resume must be submitted with the BAS Application.
Students are responsible for any costs associated with proctored examinations.
Required Core Curriculum (grade of C or better)
|Communication||ENGL||6 semester credit hours||6|
|Communication||SPCH||3 semester credit hours||3|
|Mathematics||MATH||3 semester credit hours||3|
|Life/Physical||8 semester credit hours||8|
|Language/Philosophy/Culture||3 semester credit hours||3|
|Creative Arts||3 semester credit hours||3|
|Social/Behavioral||HIST||6 semester credit hours||6|
|Social/Behavioral||GOVT||6 semester credit hours||6|
|Social/Behavioral||3 semester credit hours||3|
|Additional||KINE||1 semester credit hour||1|
Required CORE Program Courses (Semesters 1, 2, 3)
|MHSM 3302||U.S. Health Care Delivery||3|
|MHSM 3303 *||Statistics for Health Care Managers||3|
|* Prerequisite MATH 1314 or MATH 1342 with C grade or better|
|MHSM 3310||Legal Issues in Health Care||3|
|MHSM 3358||Healthcare Revenue Integrity Practices||3|
|MHSM 3335||Financial Management for Health Professionals||3|
|MHSM 3362||Current Trends in Healthcare||3|
|MHSM 3421||Health Information Technologies and Standards||4|
|MHSM 4304||Risk Management for Health Care Managers||3|
|MHSM 4310||Human Resources in Health Care Management||3|
|MHSM 4351||Public and Community Health Management||3|
Required Program Courses (Semesters 3, 4)
Emphasis in Healthcare Administration
|MHSM 4352||Health Care Finance||3|
|MHSM 4353||Healthcare Operations Management||3|
|MHSM 4354||Strategic Planning & Leadership in Health Care||3|
|MHSM 4551||Health Care Management Practicum||5|
Emphasis in Health Informatics
|MHSM 4354||Health Information Systems Management||3|
|MHSM 4356||Healthcare Analytics and Database Design||3|
|MHSM 4357||Clinical Informatics & Decision Support Systems||3|
|MHSM 4551||Health Care Management Practicum||5|
Apply for General Scholarships through the Financial Aid Portal
The student's FAFSA application must be on file with MC Financial Aid to access the Financial Aid Portal and apply for scholarships.
If the student's FAFSA application is not on file with MC Financial Aid, the student
needs to complete the FAFSA application, and once processed, will have access to complete
the general scholarship application.
How to Apply
- Go to our Financial Aid Portal, by clicking this link: Financial Aid Portal
- Log in using your SSN and Password. If this is your first time, click the "First Time User" link under the Submit button in the "Log In" box.
- Click the menu button at the top left-hand corner.
- Select the Scholarship Application.
For additional scholarship details and deadlines, visit the General Scholarships page.
HSM Program Contact Information
Apply to MC Now
Thank you for choosing Midland College! If you are here to collect a few credits, take courses to transfer, or here to start a new career, we welcome you.