Geology is designed to acquaint the student with the processes, applications, and techniques of earth science. It is suitable for someone who intends to complete a Bachelor’s degree in geology or a related field like oceanography, meteorology, geophysics, or environmental science.
Students who seek a degree in science education at either the elementary or secondary level may wish to emphasize geology in their degree plans.
For non-majors, geology courses offer a greater understanding of the world that enhances one’s appreciation of surface features, environmental concerns, resource utilization, and the grandeur of immense changes through time.
Click Links Below for Details
Permian Basin Area Foundation Scholarships
Permian Basin Area Foundation offers the following two scholarships that provide financial assistance to current college/university students majoring in geosciences:
- Permian Basin Geophysical Society (PBGS) Scholarship
- Dawson Geophysical Scholarship
- For application details, visit www.pbaf.org/scholarships
West Texas Geological Society (WTGS) Scholarships
The West Texas Geological Foundation offers several scholarships to college students studying earth science, environmental technology, or petroleum engineering.
- R. L. (Bert) Swanson, Jr. Memorial Scholarship Fund
- John Emery Adams Scholarship Fund
- E. Russell Lloyd Scholarship Fund
- Bernold M. "Bruno" Scholarship Fund
- For application details, visit www.wtgs.org/scholarships/
Society of Exploration Geophysicists Foundation Scholarships
- SEG Foundation Scholarships are intended to encourage the study of the geophysics and related geosciences and to recognize students demonstrating outstanding academic merit.
- Make sure you have your transcripts and recommendation letters ready
- For application details, visit http://seg.org/scholarships
Apply for General Scholarships through the Financial Aid Portal
The student's FAFSA application must be on file with MC Financial Aid to access the Financial Aid Portal and apply for scholarships.
If the student's FAFSA application is not on file with MC Financial Aid, the student
needs to complete the FAFSA application, and once processed, will have access to complete
the general scholarship application.
How to Apply
- Go to our Financial Aid Portal, by clicking this link: Financial Aid Portal
- Log in using your SSN and Password. If this is your first time, click the "First Time User" link under the Submit button in the "Log In" box.
- Click the menu button at the top left-hand corner.
- Select the Scholarship Application.
For additional scholarship details and deadlines, visit the General Scholarships page.
Midland College/Sul Ross State University Science Initiative Program
Want to earn a Bachelor degree in Geology?
Do it while attending classes at Midland College through the Midland College-Sul Ross State University Science Initiative Program. Courses are presented on the Midland College campus via interactive, televised lectures by Sul Ross faculty. The laboratory part of the course is taught at the Midland campus by Midland College faculty.
Midland College has articulation agreements with a variety of schools and programs to assist our students with transferring to a university. Our curriculum maps, located in the catalog, provide a guided path for general transfer to our top five receiving institutions; however, your Pathways Advisor can assist you with a personalized plan for your specific transfer based on university and program. It is strongly recommended and encouraged that you contact your Pathways Advisor for assistance with course selection if you plan to transfer.
Online Physical Geology (GEOL 1403) Course
Online Historical Geology (GEOL 1404) Course
- Both lecture and lab are completely online
- No need to register for separate lab section
- Proctored lecture and lab exams in Testing Center and lab room
Hybrid Courses of Physical Geology (GEOL 1403, LAB INCL) & Historical Geology (GEOL 1404, LAB INCL)
- Lecture is online, but the lab are on campus
- No need to register for separate lab section
- GEOL 1447 offered every Spring
The Geology Research Initiative (GRI) Club provides an informal environment for students and faculty to discuss geologic topics, to promote their interaction, and to expand their opportunities for learning and experience through field trips and guest speakers.
Applied Areas of Geology
- Petroleum Geology
- Mining Geologist
- Environmental Geology
- Elementary & Secondary School Teacher
- College Instructor
- University Professor
- State or Federal Geological Survey Geologist
- Mudlogging and Well Site Geology
Visit the course catalog for the most complete and up-to-date information.
Math & Science
Abell-Hanger Science Faculty Building
Apply to MC Now
Thank you for choosing Midland College! If you are here to collect a few credits, take courses to transfer, or here to start a new career, we welcome you.