CanvasLearning Management System
Canvas is the Learning Management System (LMS) Midland College uses to deliver online instruction. All online, hybrid, and live-online courses have a Canvas class, as do most face-to-face courses.
For new, registered students, Canvas accounts are created about 2 weeks before the term begins. If a student registers after that time, it can take up to 24 hours after the time of registration for the Canvas account to be created.
In most cases, students have access to courses at 12:01 am the first class day.
Emails that include: @mail.midland.edu or @midland.edu
If you login to Canvas with an MC email address, the look of your login page recently changed. There is now a picture of flags on on the left and sign-in section on the left.
My MC1 Login Credentials
Login to Canvas using your My MC1 Login credentials, which are as follows:
Username: your MC email address
Initial Password: determined by your ID, details below
*Upon initial login, you will be prompted to reset your password
9-digit MC ID
1st initial of your first name + 1st three initials of your last name + your complete MC ID
Example: John Smith
MC ID: 123004567
Password = jsmi123004567
5-digit MC ID
1st initial of your first name + 1st three initials of your last name + 0000 + your complete MC ID
Example: John Smith
MC ID: 12345
Password = jsmi000012345
Troubleshooting: My MC1 Login Credentials
If you have trouble, make sure you are going to the correct login page (link above) and carefully entering your new My MC1 Login credentials.
If your My MC1 Login credentials do not work, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, and include the following information: your name, your MC ID number, your MC email address, and a description of the problem.
If you were a Canvas student prior to Fall 2021, the Standard Canvas login below should also work, IF you remember that password. This login can be used to access Canvas until your My MC1 Login problem can be reviewed.
For Canvas accounts associated with an MISD email address, a personal email address, etc.
If you do not use an MC email address to access Canvas, use the Standard: MC Canvas Login page:
Username: email address associated with your account
Password: use the password assigned to you by your instructor or program administrator
If you cannot remember your Canvas password:
- Click the "Forgot Password?" link on the Standard: MC Canvas Login page
- Enter the email address associated with your Canvas account
- Click "Request Password"
- Check your email account for a message from Instructure/Canvas with a link to reset your password
TroubleShooting: Non-MC Email Address Accounts
If you tried resetting your password and still cannot login to Canvas, submit a Canvas help ticket by following these steps:
- Clicking the tiny "Help" link on the Standard: MC Canvas Login page
- Select the "Report a Problem" option
- Enter a Subject in the Subject field (brief description of problem)
- In the Description, describe the problem and include your name, the email address associated with your account, and the name of your program
- Click the "Submit Ticket" button
- Then check your email account for a response from the Canvas administrators for further instructions
Canvas Training & Help
Canvas Student Connection Course
This course provides an orientation on using Canvas, browser compatibility, setting up your notifications, etc. New Canvas students should review the course before your semester begins.
All registered students should be enrolled in the Canvas Student Connection course.
If the course does not appear on your Dashboard, click the "Courses" icon on the left toolbar, then click the "All Courses" link at the bottom of the list, then navigate to the course. If you still do not see it, submit a Canvas Help ticket by clicking the "Help" icon and selecting the "Report a Problem or Ask a Question" option. In the description field, be sure to include your name and MC student ID and we will add you to the course.
for technical difficulties when logged in to Canvas...
- On a computer, navigate to the page where you are experiencing a problem and click
the "Help" icon on the left side of the screen, in the dark-gray toolbar.
- Help Options:
- Search the Canvas Guides (link at top)
Find answers to common "How to" Canvas questions
- Ask Your Instructor a Question
Select the correct course, type in your question, and the message will be sent to your instructor via the Canvas Inbox
- Report a Problem or Ask a Question
- FIRST - Navigate to the Canvas page where the problem is occurring, then click Help and select this option
- Questions/problems are routed to a local MC admin
- Include your name, student ID, and email address, and detailed description of the problem
- Check your MC email for ALL support updates/responses
- Search the Canvas Guides (link at top)
Online Test Proctoring Tools
Free for MC Students
The Respondus LockDown Browser is a software program, integrated in Canvas, that locks down the testing environment for students. Some instructors use it to lock the browser and prevent students from visiting other web pages, print, etc. while taking a test.
How to Set up
Watch the video below to learn how to set-up the LockDown Browser on your personal device.
Steps to Activate the LockDown Browser
- Download the software using the link below. This link provides the connection to the Midland
College account. This software is free to students.
LockDown Browser Software
- Install the software on your computer
- Before launching the new browser, close all other open application on your computer
- Go to the desktop/launchpad and click on the LockDown Browser icon
- Login to Canvas
- Navigate to the course to take your quiz
Installing the Chromebook Lockdown Browser Extension
To install the new extension to a Chromebook, use the Download Respondus LockDown Browser link in your quiz, or download at this link: https://download.respondus.com/lockdown/download.php?id=489242920
The LockDown Browser installation link will direct you to the Chrome web store, at
which point you should select “Add to Chrome” to install the LockDown Browser Extension
(you will NOT be able to search for the app directly from the Chrome web store).
LockDown Browser Tips & Tricks
Using an iPad?
To use LDB with the iPad app, the instructor must activate that setting in Canvas. Contact your instructor if you have questions about using an iPad.
Install in Advance
It is HIGHLY recommended that students download & install the software well in advance of taking the first quiz/test requiring it.
Do Not Pay for LockDown Browser software
Students must use the link above (or the link provided in the Canvas course) to install
the correct version/connection to Midland College. This software download is FREE to MC students. If a student is being asked to pay, they are not using the correct
Respondus Monitor is an add-on feature to the LockDown Browser an instructor may use to proctor online exams. Students are required to have a web cam if the instructor enables this option.
There is a $15 fee/student for a one year subscription to use Monitor. The subscription
is good for all MC courses for one year.
Visit the Respondus Student Resources page for helpful videos, support FAQs, live chat, etc.
Ask for Help
Submit a Canvas Help ticket and we will take a look!
For instructions on how to submit a Canvas Help ticket, click the "How to get Help in Canvas" link in the section above.
Online proctoring which requires the use of a webcam and reliable, high-speed Internet connection. Student is responsible for the fee associated with this proctoring option. Fee schedule based on length of test.
|181 & up||$42.50|