I am in High School
Legacy Scholars Program
Invest in yourself, your community, your world.
Legacy continues as a vital program of Midland College and our community. Now, more than ever, we want to fuel the future success of the Permian Basin. Legacy is incorporating a holistic approach to provide our students with an enhanced academic experience combined with the applicable soft skills that employers seek.
If You are Still in High School
The Legacy Scholars Program (along with the Legacy Scholarship) is a one-year student success program. It has fantastic benefits, such as paying 100% of your tuition. To be considered, apply and submit all documentation by the deadline.
Check The Legacy Scholars page for more information, but here are the basics of eligibility:
- Graduate from a high school in Midland County with at least a 2.75 GPA (on a 4.0 point scale)
- Complete 40 hours of volunteer community service through the mssconnections.org website
- Complete a COLLEGE application
- Complete a FAFSA application
- Complete a Legacy Scholars Program application
- Deadline to apply for Legacy: April 5th, 2022
- Deadline for all documentation (Ex: volunteer service, FAFSA, etc.) June 1st, 2022
These steps can be completed in any order, but it is ideal to complete your ApplyTexas and FAFSA applications before completing the Legacy application. We recommend starting to accumulate your volunteer hours as early as possible to ensure that you have completed them by the deadline.
There are only two things you can do before your senior year to prepare for the Legacy Scholars Program:
- Monitor your Grade Point Average (GPA) and make sure that – by the time you graduate
high school – your GPA is at least a 2.75 (on a 4-point scale).
Your high school can help you determine this and will likely post the 4-point scale GPA on your interim report cards.
- Complete 40 hours of volunteer community service through the mssconnections.org website. You can start this as early as your 9th grade year. Just make sure that you are using Legacy-Approved agencies (it’s easy if you use the website above).
That’s it! As you enter your Senior Year of high school, you will begin submitting additional documentation and additional forms. But for now, just concentrate on your grades and your volunteer community service hours.
- Financial Assistance
Participating in the Legacy Scholars Program will pay all tuition and course-related fees
- Success Coaching
You will be assigned a Success Coach who will remain your coach for up to two years. This is a caring faculty member who has been trained to help you advocate for yourself, keep yourself on track, and make sure you finish your program at Midland College as quickly and efficiently as possible.
- Leadership Training
Exposure to leadership principles to prepare you to take charge, think strategically, grow your network, and motivate others.
- Philanthropic Development
Your understanding of nonprofits and charitable organizations will grow as you cultivate your understanding of being intentional about using your time, money, and energy to impact the wellness of your community.