Students • State Mandate: Proof of Bacterial Meningitis Vaccination
Special Note: Changes to Exemption Process
As of January 1, 2014, all entering students at an institution of higher education * are required to show proof of an initial meningococcal vaccination or a booster dose during the five-year period prior to enrolling. They must get the vaccine at least 10 days before the semester begins.
• Texas Department of State Health Services / Vaccine Requirements
Exemptions: A separate, signed application must be submitted ONLINE for each individual to receive an exemption from Texas meningococcal vaccination requirements. This form is for official use only and is not valid if photocopied. You must have a working printer to complete this transaction.
• Texas Department of State Health Services / Online Vaccination Exemption Form
• Texas Department of State Health Services / Vaccine Exemption Information
* an “institution of higher education,” for purposes of this requirement, includes a “private or independent institution of higher education” per Texas Education Code Sec. 51.9192; see Education Code Sec. 61.003 for full definitions of these terms.
These changes are the result of Senate Bill (SB) 62, passed by the 83rd Texas Legislature and signed into law by Texas Governor Rick Perry.
Beginning with the Spring 2012 semester, a new state law required all students entering institutions of higher education to show evidence of receiving a bacterial meningitis vaccination or booster dose during the five year period prior to enrollment and at least 10 days before the first day of the semester.
• more information about the requirement (Adobe .pdf file)
• list of various meningitis vaccines (Adobe .pdf file)
Information from the Midland Health Department: There are local pharmacies that carry the vaccine. They accept cash and file most insurances. A few examples with today’s [11/19/11] current prices are:
• Walgreens (all Midland locations): $133.99 • more information from Walgreens
• H.E.B. : $132.99
• Graham’s Pharmacy: $135.00
Vaccination are also available through Midland Health & Senior Services:
$110.00, No Appointment Necessary
Mondays - Thursdays, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Fridays - 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon
Services available during lunch.
3303 West Illinois, Space 22 (inside Kingsway Mall), Midland, Texas
Vaccination are also available through Midland Community Healthcare Services, for college students from low-income families, or a student that isn’t covered by any insurance (or their insurance doesn’t cover it).
Colmena Clinc, 801 E. Florida, Midland, Texas
No Appointment Necessary, but IS encouraged!
Mondays, Thursdays: 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Tuesdays, Wednesdays: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Fridays - 8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.